Homeschooling is Succeeding Where Public Schools Are Failing

Mar 12, 2020 | Articles

Let me start with sharing that both my parents started out their careers as school teachers.  My father spent his entire 35+ year career in the government education system – first as an educator, then as an administrator.  My brothers and I were raised with a great respect for education.  I believe my beloved father, may he rest in peace, would be rolling over in his proverbial grave to see how the government education system has deteriorated.  This is not subjective.  There are reams of documentation and statistics on the fruits of government education in America in these times.  For example…

How Government Education is failing our children:

  • “As many as 40% of the children in elementary and secondary school are not becoming fluent readers.  Parents are advised to teach their children to read at home.”  (2000 US Census)
  • Only 30% of 8th graders can pass the annual proficiency test in math in Newark, NJ; yet they spend $18,000 per student – one of the highest of any major government school system!
  • From the current Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos: “The results (of Common Core) are frankly devastating.  This country is in a student achievement crisis.  And over the past decade it has continued to worsen especially for our most vulnerable students.”  (4-8 grades Math and Reading proficiency)  (Source: https://www.westernjournal.com/years-common-core-betsy-devos-announces-devastating-results)
  • “65% of Public School 8th Graders Not Proficient in Reading; 67% Not Proficient in Math” (source: https://www.theburningplatform.com/2018/05/01/65-of-public-school-8th-graders-not-proficient-in-reading-67-not-proficient-in-math)

Name one product or service on the market that could continue to exist if it had a 65% fail rate?  If 2/3s of all cars produced by Ford couldn’t reliably start or run?  If 65% of all iPhones didn’t work when you got them home?  How is this possible that we keep pouring good money – taxpayer money – into a failing system?  Kudos to those children in the 35% who are presumably at grade level.  But what about the other 65%?  In my next blog we’ll look at how homeschooling can provide the opportunity for a great education for kids from less “privileged” backgrounds socially and/or economically.  For a fraction of the price!  It is truly “The Great Equalizer”.

On the other hand, homeschooling is succeeding where government education is failing…

Homeschool Achievements:

  • A higher percentage of homeschool applicants are accepted into major colleges and universities than other students. (source: hslda.org)
  • Homeschoolers not only score higher on average (37+points!) on national college-preparatory tests, but tend to make higher grades in college than other students. (source: hslda.org)

The purpose of this blog is to provide a sample of the stats comparing the performance outcomes between government education and homeschooling.  A whole book could be written on this topic, but let these stats speak for themselves.  We are posting interviews of homeschooling parents on our website (ed-exit.com) so you can hear first hand the successes of homeschool education.  There is too much at stake for kids today, to leave their education in the hands of a failing government school system.

Ed-Exit.com is providing free resources and supports for parents to transition their children into homeschooling and specifically Christian homeschooling.  We will talk about this distinction in a future blog.  At Ed-Exit.com we have strived to remove many of the obstacles that parents face in making the choice to homeschool their children by providing information, materials and support groups.  Please visit our website for resources, info and very cool products to support and inspire your children to receive the quality education they deserve.

Peace in Christ,
Maria T.

We're Here For You

Scripture places the demand on parents to instruct their children, and to raise them in the nurture and admomition of the Lord, not be subject to the State's idea of education.

We know you're concerned about the the safety of your children and the future of America, and want to see God glorified.

This can feel like a scary process, but that’s why we’ve created a resource library for you, and are creating an on-line community of mentors and support. The resource library provides Christian homeschool support groups located in your state.

Email Sign Up